Updated: Oct 9
This is a crazy time, like something out of a science fiction movie, right? It's hard to believe that in our modern age of medicine that we would be living through a global pandemic of such death and destruction. But if we place this in a historical perspective, this is nothing new. As humans spread across the world, infectious diseases have been a constant companion. Even in this modern era, outbreaks are nearly constant. Looking back, Black Death (Bubonic Plague) from 1347-1351 took around 200 Million lives. Small Pox in 1520 took around 56 Million. The 17th Century Great Plagues in the 1600s took 3 Million. The Spanish Flu in 1918-1919 took 40-50 Million. HIV/AIDS has taken from 25-35 Million lives and is still on-going. And there are many more. (source: visualcapitalist.com/history-of-pandemics-deadliest/) What may be unique about this one is our reaction to it and the full global nature of it due to our highly mobile society. With our modern communication means and medical knowledge and therefore implementation of world-wide isolation, beyond the actual disease, we also are suffering from severe economic and emotional issues.
This article is not going to address how we got here, but rather what we can do about it. And there is a lot we can do to protect ourselves, at any age, based on the latest knowledge and science coming out of studies and clinical treatment of this virus. I keep up with all of this and will give you the best knowledge I have on how to protect yourself during this pandemic. In natural medicine, the idea is to increase the strength of your immune system and anti-inflammatory pathways and let your body deal with the virus through its inbuilt and exquisitely designed disease fighting mechanisms. Plus, you can supplement with natural anti-virals if you do happen to become infected.
The silent pandemic
Contrary to the germ theory of disease, the immune theory says that we will never get ahead of mutating germs with our vaccines, so our best defense is a strong, resilient immune system. The silent pandemic is that so many of us are already immune compromised and just don't know it. I have been warning folks about this for years (see my book on amazon), trying to help people regain full strength immune systems. The loud pandemic, COVID, is a wake-up call to the silent pandemic and taking advantage of all of those who already have decreased immune systems. Evidence of the ability of our body to defend you is seen all over the world during this pandemic, where many people are completely without symptoms and yet test positive for the virus. Those that have pre-existing conditions are most effected...those that are already immune compromised.
The problem is, no one really knows if they are immune compromised without extensive medical testing, that you will probably have to pay for yourself because it falls under the heading of preventive medicine. So the best approach is to act as if you are immune compromised, until after this pandemic peters out, and strengthen your immune system, just in case.
Plus, as we age, the strength of our immune system naturally decreases leading to age-related diseases, including inflammation, which causes most age-related problems. Its kind of a double edged sword, this aging thing. It lowers your immune strength and it raises inflammation, a lethal combination, very much contributing to higher rates of cancer as well. So in general, even without a pandemic, it is a good idea to take the necessary steps to keep your immune system strong as we age, through some or all of the steps below.
So here we go.....
1. Anti- Aging. A major advance in healthy longevity potential was published on September 8, 2019, in the journal Aging Cell (https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/acel.13028)
A combination of nutrients, hormones, and a drug resulted in significant human age reversal, as measured by DNA methylation, in nine men aged 51 to 65.
The study was conducted by Dr. Greg Fahy and colleagues at the biotechnology company Intervene Immune, Inc., in collaboration with researchers from Stanford University and the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).
The study protocol consisted of individualized doses of:
a. Human growth hormone (hGH),
b. DHEA, and
Study subjects were also provided with 3,000 IU of vitamin D3 and 50 mg of elemental zinc daily.
After one year, the study participants were 2.5 years younger, as measured by multiple DNA methylation aging tests, than they would have been without treatment.
This innovative protocol resulted in multiple, system-wide, anti-aging benefits:
Regenerated thymic structure,
Improved immune function with signs of increased cancer protection,
Improved prostate cancer markers (PSA and percent free PSA),
Regenerative effects on kidney function and bone marrow, and
On average, 2.5 years of age reversal, as measured by four different DNA methylation tests.
So, the bottom line is, it reversed age-related immune decay, improving the immune system of all participants. Now what can you do if you don't want to take Human Growth Hormone because it is too expensive or maybe you think it is not safe (lots of debate on that and the correct dosing). Or you don't want to take Metformin because it is a drug, requires a prescription and has some side effects in some people. Well, you can improve your growth hormone levels through exercise and fasting. The best way to do that is to exercise while fasting in an intermittent fasting routine. Please check out the internet, my book "Connecting the Dots", and/or other blogs here on more information on intermittent fasting. In place of metformin, you can take Berberine, which targets the same pathways as metformin for sugar control and sugar metabolism in the body.
2. Body composition. As it turns out, we are learning that obesity is one of those pre-existing conditions that hurts your chances of survival of this virus. That could be because your body fat is a source of inflammatory messengers, thus adding to the viral inflammation that occurs with COVID. So now is the time to go on your most effective weight loss program. Send me an email if you need health coaching for weight loss (firstname.lastname@example.org).
3. Nitric Oxide levels. Nitric Oxide is a natural compound you produce in your body. Studies have shown that it helps prevent infection. Levels decrease as you age but you can boost your levels through various means. You can do this by taking an organic beet root powder in your smoothies or other beverages. Or you can take a supplement with L Citrulline in it (much more expensive) like CircO2. I take beet root powder five days a week just for general heart and cardiovascular health, so now I have the added benefit of viral protection.
4. Boosting Glutathione levels. Glutathione is your natural and most powerful antioxidant, lowering oxidation and inflammation in the body. I have read several accounts now of people who have saved their lives by taking glutathione for COVID 19. You can take glutathione directly through various supplements now available (see Bulletproof Glutathione Force for example) and/or you can take an amino acid called cysteine (a key component of Glutathione) in the form of N Acytl Cysteine or NAC to boost your glutathione levels indirectly.
5. Vitamins and Minerals. Our bodies have a tremendous need for Vitamin C, D3 and zinc during an infection, plus they bolster your defenses between infections. And I V vitamin C has been used in China at very high doses to combat this particular virus with some good success. So, if I did nothing else, I would up my dosages to daily intake of Vitamin C to at least 2-3 grams per day, Vitamin D3 (best with K2) to around 5,000 IU per day and Zinc at any amount every day (whatever your supplement bottle says). Try and get your Vitamin D levels up to above 50 if you are not infected and about 70 if you are. You can get your Vitamin C in three forms, a powder, a pill or encased in fat globules called Liposomal Vitamin C. The powders and pills help load up your blood stream and the Liposomal help carry it into your cells. So I take a combination of both, the Liposomal 4 days a week and the powder, three days a week.
6. Beta Glucan. This is a substance from primarily mushrooms but other foods as well that boosts and modulates your immune system. High quality Beta Glucan can be expensive (from Transfer Point) or you can take a mushroom blend offered in many products that boost your immune system. Either way, it can really help.
7. Lactoferrin. The protein lactoferrin has shown potent antiviral activity in preclinical and clinical (human) studies. It attacks viruses at several points in their lifecycle, through various mechanisms. While some lactoferrin is produced in the body, it can also be absorbed from oral intake (in colostrum and by itself), bolstering the body’s defenses. Lactoferrin should not replace tried-and-true preventive measures such as hand washng etc. However, it may provide an additional layer of defense to reduce the risk of contracting viral illnesses and to diminish their severity. Proline rich polypeptides also come from colostrum and have shown immuno boosting and balancing properties. Now personally, my system has problems with colostrum but many people do fine with it. Make sure you get an organic grass fed source to eliminate hormones, pesticides and high Omega 6 ingestion.
8. Hot/cold exposure. Ending your hot showers with cold showers builds brown fat and increased mitochondria in your body and bolsters your immune system. After you get used to it over time, you will come to love the feeling you get after you get out of the shower!
9. Breath Work. Proper breathing exercises can increase oxygen supply to your tissues and condition your immune system. Check out the Wim Hoff videos on You Tube. He is the master and will show you how. Be prepared to work!
10. Throat Spray/Mouth Wash Bee propolis has anti-viral properties, a waxy substance made by honey bees to keep infections down in the hive. Most infections start in the throat and then migrate down into the lungs. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a spay that had propolis in it that could coat your throat for prevention and treatment? Well, you are in luck. There is! It is made by Beekeepers Naturals and is called "Propolis Throat Spray". I give myself two pumps every night before I go to bed.
From Dr Mercola: Research shows many dental mouthwashes destroy the lipid layer of coronaviruses and reduce the replication of the virus in the throat and salivary glands, making mouthwash a potentially useful prophylactic against COVID-19. Mouthwashes that include ethanol, chlorhexidine, cetylpyridinium chloride, hydrogen peroxide or povidone-iodine are especially effective and may even work against any new coronavirus strains that emerge.
Certain mouthwashes, particularly povidone-iodine containing ones, have been shown to minimize the risk of viral infections and upper respiratory tract infections. While mouthwash may lower your risk of COVID-19 infection, their “scorched earth” impact can also create an imbalance in your oral microbiome. An alternative is to use oil pulling with coconut oil or MCT oil
11. Gut Health. Most health gurus say that 70 % of your immune system is tied to gut health. You cannot have a healthy body without a healthy gut. Gut inflammation, leaky gut, IBS, constipation, diarrhea, IBD, gut disbiosis, gut infections, Celiac, Crohn's, parasites, low good bacteria counts, SIBO, acid reflux...all can lead to lowered immune function. This may be the prime cause of being immune compromised! It can be very complicated to heal your gut and this is not the place to address it. Without going into how to heal your gut, you need to pay special attention to this area. Look at my other blogs, read my book, send me an email, check out Dr Group or Dr Axe or Dr Mercola or GAP diets on gut healing protocols. Just start working on it.
12. Hydrogen Peroxide. Our bodies use internally made hydrogen peroxide to kill infectious organisms, including virus. So one way to help the body do that is to supplement with Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide. As noted by Dr. Thomas Levy, “the way to control any viral infection is not to kill the virus; rather, the infected cells that have been turned into viral factories must be killed.”
Our immune cells actually produce hydrogen peroxide. This is in part how the immune system kills cells that have been infected with a virus. By killing the infected cell, viral reproduction is stopped. So, hydrogen peroxide therapy is in essence only aiding our immune cells to perform their natural function more effectively.
Hydrogen peroxide is also a Key redox signaling agent.
Hydrogen Peroxide Protocol
To prevent an infection from taking hold, begin treatment at 1st signs of symptoms. Commercially available food grade 3% hydrogen peroxide is fine for this purpose, and can be used without dilution.
If the undiluted solution stings or burns your nose, you can dilute it up to 50% with pure water. Even lower concentrations can be used, although the antiviral effects will be reduced at lower concentrations.
If already presenting with runny nose or sore throat, Dr. Levy recommends using the nebulizer (a machine that turns a liquid into a fine mist) for 10 to 15 mins 4X a day until the symptoms are relieved. You can also nebulize hydrogen peroxide for prevention and maintenance, which may be advisable during flu season, or while the COVID-19 pandemic is in full swing.
He notes: “As it is a completely non-toxic therapy, nebulization can be administered as often as desired. If done on a daily basis at least once, a very positive impact on bowel and gut function will often be realized as killing the chronic pathogen colonization present in most noses and throats stops the 24/7 swallowing of these pathogens and their associated toxins.
13. Meditation/relaxation. Stress lowers the immune system. Plain and simple. So, the more you can get all of the tension out of your body, the better. The are many meditation methods to clear your mind and live in the moment. Deep breathing, guided meditations on You Tube (see Dr Dispenza guided meditations), meditative music on You Tube (see Awakening Planet), Tapping (see Nick Ortner), Tai Chi, Yoga, plus others. Carve out at least 15 min a day for this relaxation period, forget about everything going on in your life and give yourself this present. Your body will love you for it.
14. Sugar Control/fasting. Sugar can seriously degrade your immune system so it is best to remove all refined sugar from the diet and all artificial sweeteners. Good sweeteners are Stevia, Monk Fruit and Raw Honey (that does not come from a hive located in an orchard that uses pesticides). Intermittant Fasting helps control sugar and insulin levels in the bloodstream and has other positive effects on your metabolism and DNA repair as you move more and more into fat burning and Ketosis.
15. Ozone Therapy. Ozone will kill just about any pathogen. Unfortunately, an ozone generator and associated equipment will will set you back about $1800 dollars for a home unit. I have one because the ozone gas is good for general health maintenance. If you are interested, buy a cheap on-line e-book from Dr Frank Shallenberger on Amazon to read all about it and his recommendations on the best products out there.
16. Homeopathy. There are various homeopathic remedies for viral infections. I have never tried them but many people swear to their effectiveness for a variety of conditions. If you would like to try their most effective formulas for COVID, please contact my friend Jack Tipps (wellnesswiz.com) for his recommendations and product sales.
17. Immune Boosting Herbs. These herbs really work. I take them either as prevention before getting on an airplane or at the first signs I am getting sick. Here they are:
Echinacea, Goldenseal, Osha, Spilanthes, Black Elderberry, Yarrow, Horseraddish, Ginger, Santa, Wild Indigo. You can get them all in a product from Herb Pharm called Rapid Immune Boost.
So that is my list for now. I will update this if anything else major is proven effective as natural treatment. By the way, there is very good science to back up Hydroxychloroquine with antibiotics, zinc and red light therapy, all together. The Red Light therapy can come from the sun or you can buy a red light device. I recommend you read Ari Whitten's book on red light therapy first, available on Amazon. It will save you a lot of money on purchasing the right device. So if you really need it, this is definitely worth a try, especially in the earlier phases of the infection.
Appreciate your feedback and don't forget, your body works as a system, where many functions are interconnected to result in balance and health. For overall health and nutrition, you can't go wrong with my book, "Connecting the Dots". Just type my name in, "Bob Arbetter" into the Amazon search bar and it will pop right up...
Yours in health...Bob Arbetter, PHd